No email alerts ??

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 03:06:13 CEST 2007

For the love of god please stop top-posting.

On 10/4/07, Nedim Bicic <nedo72 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Your definitly right about only sending from the root  (usr/bin/sendmail)
> not a typo i tried that since /bin/mail didnt work for me so i thought i
> would try it out cause thats all it can do i tried placing that in the
> commands cfg obviusly didnt work... now i also tried making the user root
> and gave it permission but now i think i played way to much with mail and
> sendmail i screwed it up big time with the permissions.....wat i think will
> end up doing is reinstalling nagios again..crap

Did you check that /bin/mail actually exists? If it doesn't, you might
consider installing the package which provides it.

> I didnt know that sendmail and mail are two different i guess i was wrong ..
> i mean i did installation word by word as written in manaul i have
> everything working expet email ?

Just because you followed the nagios install guide word for word
doesn't mean you did it properly. If the system you're building nagios
on isn't sane, then you're going to have many other issues no matter
how closely you follow the nagios directions.

Since you're on RHEL, why are you building nagios from scratch? Why
not use the rpms which are built for RHEL and listed on the download
section of the nagios page?

> one small question is bin/mail a relay client ? and where is $contactemail$
> defined anywhere except commands.cfg

The $contactemail$ variable is defined in your contact definition, and
is set by (of all magical options) the 'email' section.

> i see in the nagios.log file as mention in my eearlier posts that i see its
> trying to send it out but keeps getting line code error 127 unkown email
> address (which is my gmail)

No. The error you referenced earlier stated that nagios didn't have
permission to, or could not find /bin/mail or /usr/bin/printf....  Did
you check the mail log for sendmail to see if it actually got the
message but failed to send, or are you simply looking at the
nagios.log?

Given the vast amounts of typos and misplacings of the /, I would very
much recommend that you go back over your configs and make sure you
haven't typed them as accurately as you've formed your emails.

George Orwell