Errors from check_nagios -v

John Tabasz (jtabasz) jtabasz at cisco.com
Wed Oct 3 22:22:05 CEST 2007

Hi,

Solaris 2.8; Nagios 2.9;

It's a new installation and I'm trying to figure out why the hosts-alive
is not running. All clients are status PENDING on the web page. I can
'reschedule the next test for this host' to do a one time check. This is
not what I had in mind however. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,

John

I have some hosts defined in hosts.cfg:
define host {
 name                            generic-host-template
 notifications_enabled           1
 event_handler_enabled           1
 flap_detection_enabled          1
 process_perf_data               1
 retain_status_information       1
 retain_nonstatus_information    1
 contact_groups                  admins
 register                        0
}

define host {
 # Name of host template to use
 use                     generic-host-template
 host_name               dev5b
 alias                   dev5b
 address                 10.1.1.10
 check_command           check-host-alive
 max_check_attempts      10
 notification_interval   120
 notification_period     24x7
 notification_options    d,u,r
}

define host {
 # Name of host template to use
 use                     generic-host-template
 host_name               dev5b
 alias                   dev5b
 address                 10.1.1.11
 check_command           check-host-alive
 max_check_attempts      10
 notification_interval   120
 notification_period     24x7
 notification_options    d,u,r
}
Etc.

These hosts are part of the hostgroups.cfg file:

define hostgroup{
        hostgroup_name  testing-nagios-install-group
 alias           Nagios Testing Servers
# contact_groups admins
# Members in this case means members of the hostgroup, i.e. hosts.
 members        dev5b,dev5e,dev5i,dev5k,dev5v
}

>From the commands.cfg file:
# 'check-host-alive' command definition
define command{
        command_name    check-host-alive
        command_line    $USER1$/check_icmp -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -w
3000.0,80% -c 500
0.0,100% -t 3 -m 1
        }

# 'check_ping' command definition
define command{
        command_name    check_ping
        command_line    $USER1$/check_ping -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -w $ARG1$ -c
$ARG2$
-p 5
        }

>From the services.cfg file:

define service{
name    generic-service-template
active_checks_enabled  1
passive_checks_enabled  1
parallelize_check  1
obsess_over_service  1
check_freshness   0
notifications_enabled  1
event_handler_enabled  1
flap_detection_enabled  1
process_perf_data  1
retain_status_information 1
retain_nonstatus_information 1
register   0
}

 # Name of service template to use
 use    generic-service
 host_name   dev5b,dev5e,dev5i,dev5k,dev5v
 service_description  PING
 is_volatile   0
 check_period   24x7
 max_check_attempts  3
 normal_check_interval  5
 retry_check_interval  1
 contact_groups   admins
 notification_interval  120
 notification_period  24x7
 notification_options  c,r
 check_command   check_ping!100.0,20%!500.0,60%
 }

I still get this output from check_nagios -v:

Warning: Host 'dev5b' has no services associated with it!
Warning: Host 'dev5e' has no services associated with it!
Warning: Host 'dev5i' has no services associated with it!
Warning: Host 'dev5k' has no services associated with it!
Warning: Host 'dev5v' has no services associated with it!