NC_Net.EventLog.Receiving error codes.Could I receive more info from the EventLog?

Anthony Montibello amontibello at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 20:06:51 CEST 2007

Hi,

 WMI should solve this problem for you.

Just some notes on related to this issue,

First off, make sure your using the current version of NC_NEt 4.1a and you
would have access to a more optimized event log check called "eventlog_new"
The original eventlog searched the logs from the wrong end, and thus takes a
long time on large logs, this new version asside from using different syntex
checks from the most resent event first.

The Output is the same, thus it does not give what your are looking for.
(but it may be more optimized than the WMI You would need to test this.)  if
it is a quicker test, I recomend using it and setting up event handlers or
manually running check_nt using WMI to get the file name.  note this assumes
that you normally do not get an alert , so you would want the checking to
induce the least load.

If you know the names of the files you can setup seperate checks using the
REGEXP of the EVENTLOG_NEw and this would serve as a workaround.

If your looking for the files being modified. FILEAGE may be a good
workaround.

you should be able to setup an event handler that takes the EVENTID reported
by EVENTLOG check and runs a WMICAT, querry the WMI (Windows Managment
interface) for the Event Log Message.
CLASS - CIMV2  Win32_NTLogEvent -has the events  and the messeges in it.
writing a querry to it may be tricky but if you need the File mane from the
Message field this is the way to get it without writing new scripts, or
paying for upgrades.

or just run WMI checks directly and use wrapper scripts to interpret the
results.
please not on this, if a querry has no match there may be a NO OUTPUT error.

Good Luck.

TOny (author of NC_Net)