Make a user see only a subset of a monitored host's service checks

Alex Burger alex_b at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Oct 1 16:18:08 CEST 2007

Hi David.

David Knecht wrote:
> I'd like to define two Nagios login users/contacts where one user sees
> only a subset of all service checks that are assigned to a single host.
>
> Here is an example:
>
> The service checks SC1 and SC2 are running against the monitored host
> H1. User U1 must be able to monitor and control (e. g. enable/disable
> notifications etc.) H1 as well as SC1 and SC2 through the Nagios web
> interface while U2 must monitor and control only H1 and SC1.
>
> Is this possible?
>
> This seems to be an easy one, but I just don't make any progress
> configuring it...
>
> This is what I experience:
> - If H1 is assigned a contact group and U2 is part of this contact group
> then U2 sees both SC1 *and* SC2 even if SC2 is not assigned this contact
> group in the service definition.

The ability to limit what services a user sees is included in a patch I
wrote last year to give the Nagios web interface more granular
permissions.  The patch is available at http://www.fragit.net/nagios.html

There is a limitation to the patch where a user can execute a command on
the host that includes 'all services on this host' even if he/she can't
see the other services.  I hope to fix this soon.

Alex