SMS notification commands

Peter Hallam nagios at inatick.com
Fri Nov 30 06:39:50 CET 2007

On Fri, 30 Nov, 15:24 +1000 Nick Pratley wrote:
> Thanks for the reply Peter, however that isn't what the problem is in my
> case. The /var/spool/sms/outgoing directory on that server is in fact
> world-writable. And as I said I can run it from the command line
> successfully while logged in as the nagios user, which I wouldn't be able to
> do if the permissions were not right.
>
> Keep in mind that SMS Tools is running on a different server, and I'm using
> SCP to copy the file to that server.

Ah I overlooked it was being copied to a remote server.  As for running as the user nagios, how did you achieve that - with su or logging in directly?  I found that su doesn't work as expected.

Anyhow, as you say the outgoing dir is world-writeable on the remote server, then it should work AFAIK - though why don't you move the notify-by-sms script to the remote server and have a sommand on the nagios server such as:

define command {
	command_name    notify-host-by-sms
	command_line    /usr/bin/ssh root at remotemachine "/some/path/notify-by-sms $CONTACTPAGER$ \"$TIME$ $HOSTALIAS$ $HOSTSTATE$ $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$ $HOSTOUTPUT$\""
}

In my mind it's cleaner than the scp method, though whether or not it'll work or not I'm not sure!

Regards,
Peter