max_check_attempts not working for me

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Thu Nov 29 07:35:47 CET 2007

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007, Marc Powell wrote:

> It's displayed in the web interface in the 'Attempts' column or
> Current Attempt if you're looking at a specific service detail. It'll
> be 1/3, 2/3 or 3/3. If you see 1/1 then your template isn't being
> applied as you think it is.

Thank you Marc for this and other information. I read the docs over and
over again, but your explanations made it more clear for me.

I see it was working and now that I knew what to look for even my old
nagios logs showed it in action. For anyone reading the archive, here is
an example once I added more logging with:
log_service_retries=1

[1196288346] SERVICE ALERT:
foo.example.com;mysql;CRITICAL;SOFT;1;CHECK_NRPE: Socket timeout after 20
seconds.

[1196288406] SERVICE ALERT:
foo.example.com;mysql;CRITICAL;SOFT;2;CHECK_NRPE: Socket timeout after 20
seconds.

[1196288466] SERVICE ALERT:
foo.example.com;mysql;CRITICAL;HARD;3;CHECK_NRPE: Socket timeout after 20
seconds.

[1196288466] SERVICE NOTIFICATION:
jeremy;foo.example.com;mysql;CRITICAL;notify-by-epager;CHECK_NRPE: Socket
timeout after 20 seconds.

It shows three attempts.