Passive service notification after X minutes

Mohr James james.mohr at elaxy.com
Mon Nov 26 17:02:35 CET 2007

Hi All!

We have an application that sends SNMP traps to a trap server. Which
then uses send_nsca to send status changes. The application may notice a
problem and send a trap, thus changing the status of the Nagios service,
but the problem is self-correcting and the application may be Ok within
just a few seconds. However, the Nagios service has become critical and
thus send a notification. Not a happy thing at 2AM when you are sound
asleep.

Looking through the service definition I do not see anything that
applies. If it were an active service, I could use max_check_attempts.
However, in this cases, we only get the traps on every status change, so
if the service is down, the trap is set and thus the notification is
sent. Within the trap receiver, there is no way to wait a specific
period of time before sending the messages, only wait for X traps in Y
minutes.

I am at a loss as to how to get Nagios to wait for a specific length of
time before starting the notification other than creating some major
kludge like tweaking the notification mechanism somehow. Any help is
appreaciated.

Regards,

Jim Mohr