Staggering epager notifications

Karl Katzke kkatzke at tamu.edu
Mon Nov 19 21:20:23 CET 2007

We're having a problem with Sprint's email-to-pager gateway will refuse connections and defer messages with the response "Too many connections from host" when Nagios is trying to alert all of us at once that something has failed. Obviously, since we don't know it's happening unless we're in the office, this isn't necessarily a good thing -- the person who really needs to respond might not get their notification for minutes or hours, and in the meantime, the service is down.

We've found that if we send messages with a 5-second gap, Sprint doesn't complain about us spamming their gateway. Is there a way to get Nagios (or alternately the MTA, which I realize would be off-topic, but I'm not a MTA guy) to stagger out the notifications --without some arcane hack like using escalations?

Thanks,
Karl Katzke
TAMU RGS