Monitoring hosts and DHCP

Matt Lozier mlozier at spindletopoil.com
Mon Nov 19 16:08:54 CET 2007

Hello,

I'm monitoring about 30 machines using Nagios with SNMP checks.  I also have
a DHCP server casting each machine on the network their IP address on
start-up.  Some machines stay on the majority of the time, others for only
4-8 hours a day.  The machines generally maintain their same IP address over
time as DHCP is designed to try and give a machine back it's same IP, so
long as it's available.  However, there have been times when a machine has
changed its IP addresses as a result of using DHCP on this LAN.

Question:

When I write the host macro for a given machine, e.g:

define host{
        host_name      random_machine
        address        192.168.1.100
        check_command  check_ping
        }

Is there a way to have nagios use a variable to read its address rather than
keep the address static?  This would allow me to have a script scan the
network, and assign IPs to a given variable which is then read by the host's
*.cfg file in the /etc/objects directory.

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Thank you,

---

Matt Lozier

Network Administrator

972.644.2581, ext. 248

972.661.2701  fax

 <http://www.spindletopoil.com/>

The information contained in this message or any attached document is
confidential and intended only for the individual(s) or entity to which it
is addressed.   The information should be considered privileged and
confidential.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified that any unauthorized use of the information contained in or
transmitted with the communication, or dissemination, distribution, or
copying of this communication is strictly prohibited by law.  If you have
received this communication in error, please inform the sender by
immediately returning this communication to the sender and then deleting the
original message and any copy of it in your possession.