Two difrent location - one monitoring system.

Marcin Praczko marcin at 2fluid.co.uk
Mon Nov 12 17:12:50 CET 2007

Thank you very much for explaing some ideas.
I know that maybe I don’t understand your idea - I apologies for that.

Look:

I have local network behind one server which is available to connect from Internet. But behind this server are network devices (NAS, IDS, etc) which communicate each other by local IP addresses.

And I maintaining second network. Each of this network doesn't trust each other.

And now you have:

Nagios Server ------ ServerX ----- (LAN IPs to others network devices).

I Configured NRPE on ServerX to hardcore ping local IPs (But I would like to
Develop this configuration to checking for example free space on NAS,
Network bandwich on NAS, etc, etc).

At this moment is working (NAGIOS - Service group):
ServerX - Checking services on ServerX
        - Pinging LOCAL IP1
	  - Pinging LOCAL IP2
	  - Pinging LOCAL IP3

So if I add service - check free space - that I will get next service for ServerX

But I would like to have:
ServerX - Checking services on ServerX

Group Local devices on location 2.
Server with IP1 - Checking services on Server with IP1
Server with IP2 - Checking services on Server with IP2
Etc.

IP1 and IP2 have local IP - not external.

The reason to do that. I would like to have only one port opened (NRPE) on one server and checking all HOSTs and SERVICEs behid this server (ServerX).

I just like groups and working with them. I am not so familiar with Nagios, this is a beginning of my adventure with this software. So I am asking how (or if) can be done? If yes, please explain me how.

If I understood correctly from nagios manual. We have two pings. Service and Host. So I service will fail, and server will be marked as DOWN. The host ping is sending to server (right?). So here I would like to run NRPE command on ServerX (Ping LOCAL IP). If server is back up - the software ping is checking what happen (right?) And here Again I would like to send command to NRPE - ping local IP. Etc.

At this moment I can't do (but I don't say that I am right) to make one group from LOCAL IPs behind ServerX and sending everything via NRPE on ServerX

I hope that time is clear what I would like to know.

Marcin Praczko.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.