Two difrent location - one monitoring system.

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Mon Nov 12 16:12:10 CET 2007

Nagios is pinging the host address, not the host_name. That's an
important distinction.

> But I would like to check all servers behind the NAT (localnetwork) -
so
> it is not possible ping them from outside (second location).
>
> So I created serices on Gateway - check_ping and put hardcore
> configuration in NRPE. This way is fine - but I see all local IP as
> service from NRPE (ServerX).

What do you mean by this last sentence? Where are you seeing this IP? Is
your primary concern only the IP that is displayed in the GUI? I took
your original e-mail to mean that you want all the services associated
with ServerX that are really for ServerA..D to be their own
host/services. I still don't see an issue with doing that. While they
would all have the correct host names, they'd still need to show the IP
for ServerX since it's the only address nagios must know about.

> But I would like to see it at host.
> For example:
>
> HOST:    name.location2
> IP:      AAA.BBB.CCC.DDD
> Service: service1
> Service: service2

If your concern is that the IP displayed doesn't match the host_name
that nagios is checking, proceed as I indicated in my first e-mail, but
also create a new check_nrpe command definition that uses a hard coded
<host_address> of serverX to send commands to, ignoring the host address
defined in nagios.

--
Marc