Still can't, and needing guidance SNMP issue

Tim Palmer tim at tany.com
Fri Nov 9 19:10:37 CET 2007

Please don't top post. My response is below

Christy.New at cancer.org wrote:
> Linux ATLNHONETOPS 2.6.10-16-server #2 SMP Sun Sep 23 19:57:25 UTC 2007
> i686 GNU/Lunux
>
> Nagios-3.0b6
>
> MRTG
> SNMP
>
> Nagios command definitions for the plugin(I don't know).
>
> I will attach a file, which you will need word proccessing application to
> open(usually found in linux)(See attached file: Nagios errors.abw)
>

> Very Respectfully,
> Christy M. New
> 1(404)327-6490
> American Cancer Society
> Corporate IT-NHO NOC
> Network Infrastructure Engineer
>

>              Tim Palmer
>              <tim at tany.com>
>              11/09/2007 10:46          nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net,
>              AM                        Christy.New at cancer.org

>                                        Re: [Nagios-users] Still can't, and
>                                        needing guidance SNMP issue
>

> Christy.New at cancer.org wrote:
>> What is the libexec folder?  Can you give me a direct path?  I am new to
>> Linux.
>>

>> Very Respectfully,
>> Christy M. New
>> 1(404)327-6490
>> American Cancer Society
>> Corporate IT-NHO NOC
>> Network Infrastructure Engineer
>>

>>              "Giles Coochey"
>
>>              <gcoochey at sapphir
>
>>              e.gi>
>>                                        <Christy.New at cancer.org>,
>
>>              11/09/2007 10:07
> <nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net
>>              AM                        >
>
> cc
>
> Subject
>>                                        RE: [Nagios-users] Still can't,
> and
>>                                        needing guidance SNMP issue
>

>>> I have the snmp plugin, at least it is downloaded into my downloads
>> file
>>> on
>> I believe you will need to put the executable in your libexec folder.
>>
>>> my linux server.  However I can't monitor the following on my
>>> routers(which
>>> have snmp community strings on them.  I can' monitor the snmp status
>> or
>>> bandwidth/ traffic rate.  Can anyone help me figure out why I can't
>> see
>>> these on Nagios and the Nagios applications continues to say
>>>

>>>                   UNKNOWN   11-09-20 0d 22h  3/3     check_mrtgtraf:
>>>                             07       53m 22s         Unable to open
>> MRTG
>>>                             23:47:18                 log file
>>>
>> I'm assuming you're not asking about this particular error in this
>> thread.
>>>          Port 1
>>>          Bandwidt
>>>          h Usage
>>>
>>>                   CRITICAL  11-09-20 0d 22h  3/3     (Return code of
>> 127
>>>                             07       51m 55s         is out of bounds
>> -
>>>                             23:48:45                 plugin may be
>>>                                                      missing)
> [...]

- Please don't post files in funny formats - text only. Assuming
everyone has AbiWord is as unhelpful as people assuming everyone has MS
Word available.
- In general, never post real ip addresses, passwords or SNMP community
strings in an open forum. Your email has already been indexed, and your
community string is now compromised. I would change it immediately.

Generally, the first place to start when troubleshooting plugins is to
run the plugin from the command line, with the exact same params as
you're passing in the service definition, although its common for the
check_command in the service definition to be a redefined version of a
plugin, defined in the command def file.

so:
(the following is from 2.x series. I haven't even looked at 3.x yet, so
don't know if any of this has changed).
- find where your commands are defined. Look in nagios.cfg, where ever
that might be ("locate nagios.cfg" should work) - that will tell you the
name and location of the command file. Then find the "define command"
block that matches your check_command. Use the stuff given in the
"command_line", with the params from your service definition, to run it
manually. Make sense?

If it works as root, su to the nagios user, and try it that way.

Given that this is a forum of people helping each other, the more you
can do yourself, the better your questions will be received. If you have
trouble with the above, look at it, run check_snmp -h for help, think
about it, google it a few ways before posting back. You'll also learn
more that way.

Good luck...