Still can't, and needing guidance SNMP issue

Christy.New at cancer.org Christy.New at cancer.org
Fri Nov 9 17:24:05 CET 2007

Linux ATLNHONETOPS 2.6.10-16-server #2 SMP Sun Sep 23 19:57:25 UTC 2007
i686 GNU/Lunux

Nagios-3.0b6

MRTG
SNMP

Nagios command definitions for the plugin(I don't know).

I will attach a file, which you will need word proccessing application to
open(usually found in linux)(See attached file: Nagios errors.abw)

Very Respectfully,
Christy M. New
1(404)327-6490
American Cancer Society
Corporate IT-NHO NOC
Network Infrastructure Engineer

             Tim Palmer
             <tim at tany.com>
             11/09/2007 10:46          nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net,
             AM                        Christy.New at cancer.org
                                                                        cc

                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [Nagios-users] Still can't, and

<nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net
>              AM                        >

cc

Subject
>                                        RE: [Nagios-users] Still can't,
and
>                                        needing guidance SNMP issue

>> I have the snmp plugin, at least it is downloaded into my downloads
> file
>> on
>
> I believe you will need to put the executable in your libexec folder.
>
>> my linux server.  However I can't monitor the following on my
>> routers(which
>> have snmp community strings on them.  I can' monitor the snmp status
> or
>> bandwidth/ traffic rate.  Can anyone help me figure out why I can't
> see
>> these on Nagios and the Nagios applications continues to say
>>

>>                   UNKNOWN   11-09-20 0d 22h  3/3     check_mrtgtraf:
>>                             07       53m 22s         Unable to open
> MRTG
>>                             23:47:18                 log file
>>

> I'm assuming you're not asking about this particular error in this
> thread.
>>
>>          Port 1
>>          Bandwidt
>>          h Usage
>>
>>                   CRITICAL  11-09-20 0d 22h  3/3     (Return code of
> 127
>>                             07       51m 55s         is out of bounds
> -
>>                             23:48:45                 plugin may be
>>                                                      missing)
>
> It seems that Nagios cannot find the plugin, is it in your libexec
> folder?
>
>>                   CRITICAL  11-09-20 0d 22h  3/3     (Return code of
> 127
>>                             07       50m 28s         is out of bounds
> -
>>                             23:53:21                 plugin may be
>>                                                      missing)
>>

> This looks to be the same problem.
>
> What snmp plugin are you talking about? There are plenty out there
> What version of Nagios are you talking about?
> Perhaps if you provide some of your configuration, we might be able to
> help some more?
>
> As it is, we need some psychic assistance here.

/usr/libexec, and /usr/local/libexec is the quick answer to your
question, but how useful that information will be depends on more
information. If you could provide the following details, it would be
very helpful:

- output of command "uname -a"
- Nagios version
- exact name of the plugin you're having problems with
     From the errors you posted already, there may be some confusion -
check_mrtggraf doesn't use snmp directly, it uses the information
collected by a separate program called MRTG (which must be installed,
configured and running properly in order to generate the log file
check_mrtggraf currently can't find). And, there are many snmp plugins.
- Nagios command definition for the plugin
- Nagios service definition for the service calling this command.

As Giles says, you really do need to have some understanding of the OS
you're running Nagios on. Different OS's can install different bits of
Nagios in different places, for one thing.

tim