nsclient, is it still an acceptable method to monitor nt

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Fri Nov 9 11:35:32 CET 2007

Giles Coochey wrote:
>> Steve Ensley wrote:
>>> I'm upgrading another departments Nagios 1.3 instance to Nagios 2.9.
>> they
>>> are using nsclient to get some info from some nt servers.  Most of
> my
>> Nagios
>>> experience has been monitoring Unix servers.
>>>
>>> The website at http://nsclient.ready2run.nl/ for nsclient doesnt
> seem to
>>> have been touched since 2004.  Is it still a viable method to
> monitor nt
>>> servers or is there somthing else I should be looking into to
> replace
>> it.
>> Try NSClient++ instead. It's at sourceforge somewhere, and is quite a
> lot
>> fresher. NSClient might work, but it's getting rather ancient.
>>

> I had this same quandary sometime back.
>
> Options were
>
> NSClient (seems too old, not being developed)
> NSClient++ (presumably enhanced in some way)
> OpServices version of NSClient (still being developed)
> NC_Net (still being developed)
>
> In the end I simply went with NC_Net and it appears to work for us just
> fine, and I often see the author on this list, which tells me that he's
> still involved with Nagios in some way.
>
> It would be nice if all the different people who independently developed
> all the different versions 'unforked' their efforts though :-), it would
> make the decision on which one to use much easier, by having a lack of
> choice!!

They aren't really forks. OpServices have simply taken over maintainership
of NSClient (more or less, as the original author seems to have vanished).
NSClient++ is a re-implementation in C++, with support for NRPE style script
based checks as well. NC_Net does things through dot net stuff and some m$
voodoo, but incorporates the NSClient mode of address since that's what the
official plugins support.

So it's really three different agents.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se