nsclient, is it still an acceptable method to monitor nt

Giles Coochey gcoochey at sapphire.gi
Fri Nov 9 09:04:18 CET 2007

> Steve Ensley wrote:
> > I'm upgrading another departments Nagios 1.3 instance to Nagios 2.9.
> they
> > are using nsclient to get some info from some nt servers.  Most of
my
> Nagios
> > experience has been monitoring Unix servers.
> >
> > The website at http://nsclient.ready2run.nl/ for nsclient doesnt
seem to
> > have been touched since 2004.  Is it still a viable method to
monitor nt
> > servers or is there somthing else I should be looking into to
replace
> it.
> >

> Try NSClient++ instead. It's at sourceforge somewhere, and is quite a
lot
> fresher. NSClient might work, but it's getting rather ancient.

I had this same quandary sometime back.

Options were

NSClient (seems too old, not being developed)
NSClient++ (presumably enhanced in some way)
OpServices version of NSClient (still being developed)
NC_Net (still being developed)

In the end I simply went with NC_Net and it appears to work for us just
fine, and I often see the author on this list, which tells me that he's
still involved with Nagios in some way.

It would be nice if all the different people who independently developed
all the different versions 'unforked' their efforts though :-), it would
make the decision on which one to use much easier, by having a lack of
choice!!