Distributed monitoring with nrpe_nt and freshness

Jeff Shumard - DefenseWeb Technologies jeff.shumard at defenseweb.com
Thu Nov 8 18:00:55 CET 2007

We have our monitoring configured and everything is working great
checking all our windows servers through a single windows server running
nrpe_nt.  The problem we are having is when one of our Linux Nagios
servers goes down and doesn't send any results to the master Nagios
server.  When this happens and our 5 minute freshness hits it's
threshold.  We start running active checks because we didn't receive any
passive updates from the server that went down.  This sends a bunch of
checks to the windows server to run tests and we start getting unknown
status reports back to the master server with the result of "No output
available from command".  Does anyone know if there is a max connection
on nrpe_nt or something else that maybe causing this?

Thank you,
Jeff