Service checks

Jerad Riggin jriggin at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 16:37:04 CET 2007

I have a functioning nagios setup but I have a quick question.  I am going
through and adding website string checks so we can keep track of
availability on one of our webservers.

So in services.cfg I have

define service{
        name                            generic-service ; Generic service
name
        active_checks_enabled           1               ; Active service
checks are enabled
        passive_checks_enabled          1               ; Passive service
checks are enabled/accepted
        parallelize_check               1               ; Active service
checks should be parallelized (Don't disable)
        obsess_over_service             1               ; We should obsess
over this service (if necessary)
        check_freshness                 0               ; Default is to NOT
check service 'freshness'
        notifications_enabled           1               ; Service
notifications are enabled
        event_handler_enabled           1               ; Service event
handler is enabled
        flap_detection_enabled          1               ; Flap detection is
enabled
        process_perf_data               1               ; Process
performance data
        retain_status_information       1               ; Retain status
information across program restarts
        retain_nonstatus_information    1               ; Retain non-status
information across program restarts
        register                        0               ; DONT REGISTER THIS
DEFINITION - NOT A REAL SERVICE, JUST A TEMPLATE!
        }

define service{
        name                            basic-service
        is_volatile                     0
        check_period                    24x7
        max_check_attempts              5
        normal_check_interval           3
        retry_check_interval            1
        notification_interval           15
        notification_period             24x7
        register                        0
        }

I then have as just one example:

define service{
        use                             basic-service
        name                            check-site4
        notification_options            w,u,c,r
        check_command                   check_http!site.com!20!"Home"
        register                        0
        }

My question is, you notice that I have the name as check-site4, and then
later on in the services.cfg I call up that checksite-4.  Is this the
correct way?  Do I need to define a service for each host and then later on
call it by name to execute the service check?  Is this a bad way of going
about it?

Thanks,

Jerad