NSC.INI file

Christy.New at cancer.org Christy.New at cancer.org
Thu Nov 1 17:00:19 CET 2007

Where is the system tray.  Nagios says that if I installed the Widows Agent
for Nagios on the windows machine properly that I will:see a new icon
appear in the system tray.  It will be a yellow circle with a black M
inside it.  Is the systems tray the box in the bottom right hand of your
computer screen?  And once I have edited the NSC.INI file should I restart
the windows box for it to start monitoring it?  Below are the steps I am
working on and I will highlight the ones I am confused about:

Installing the Windows Agent
Before you can begin monitoring private services and attributes of Windows
machines, you’ll need to
install an agent on those machines. I recommend using the NSClient++ addon,
which can be found at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/nscplus. These instructions will take you
through a basic installation of
the NSClient++ addon, as well as the configuration of Nagios for monitoring
the Windows machine.
18
1. Download the latest stable version of the NSClient++ addon from
http://sourceforge.net/projects/nscplus
2. Unzip the NSClient++ files into a new C:\NSClient++ directory
3. Open a command prompt and change to the C:\NSClient++ directory
4. Register the NSClient++ system service with the following command:
nsclient++ /install
5. Install the NSClient++ systray with the following command (’SysTray’ is
case-sensitive):
nsclient++ SysTray
6. Open the services manager and make sure the NSClientpp service is
allowed to interact with the
desktop (see the ’Log On’ tab of the services manager). If it isn’t already
allowed to interact with the
desktop, check the box to allow it to.
7. Edit the NSC.INI file (located in the C:\NSClient++ directory) and make
the following changes:
Uncomment all the modules listed in the [modules] section, except for
CheckWMI.dll and
RemoteConfiguration.dll
Optionally require a password for clients by changing the ’password’ option
in the [Settings]
section.
Uncomment the ’allowed_hosts’ option in the [Settings] section. Add the IP
address of the Nagios
server to this line, or leave it blank to allow all hosts to connect.
Make sure the ’port’ option in the [NSClient] section is uncommented and
set to ’12489’ (the default
port).
8. Start the NSClient++ service with the following command:
19
nsclient++ /start
9. If installed properly, a new icon should appear in your system tray. It
will be a yellow circle with a
black ’M’ inside.
10. Success! The Windows server can now be added to the Nagios monitoring
configuration...

Very Respectfully,
Christy M. New
1(404)327-6490