Notificatiosn - best common practice

Tobias Klausmann klausman at schwarzvogel.de
Thu May 31 15:22:31 CEST 2007

Hi!

The mails by shacky and Janet Post got me to thinking about a
thread regarding "best common practice" when it comes to
user accounts.

We currently have 370 hosts and 3740 services. They can be
sorted into some 60 groups of related servers.

In total, we have about 70 real people which manage different
sets of servers.

As for the structuring of notification and web site access, we do
the following:

- Every person gets three different contact objects: one for web
  site access named firstname.lastname, one for email notification
  (same, with -email postfix) and one for sms/pager notification
  (-sms postfix). All of them have different notify-by scripts
  (or, in the case of the first, notification_optiosn set to "n").

- Every set of people that is responsible for a set of machines
  and services is organized into a group, which is expanded into
  three contactgroups by the above scheme. So, for example, there
  is DNSAdmins, DNSAdmins-email and DNSAdmins-sms. This has the
  advantage of notifying some of the DNSAdmins by SMS, some by
  email etc. Also, we can let people use the web interface
  without having to notify them, yet they don't see *all*
  hostgroups and services.

For the different hosts and services, said hostgroups are used.
If a contact is completely unused (for example, one of the admins
never gets an SMS, even though he might be able to view several
sets of machines), it is commented out but left in the config.

This kind of setup, while immensely flexible, leads to quite some
bloat in the config. We currently have 183 contacts and 109
contact_groups - not counting the commented-out stuff.

I don't know of any better way of accomplishing what we need, but
I'm sure others have found different and/or better ways to do it.

So, how do you manage your user accounts?

Regards,
Tobias