check_tacacs_plus.pl [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Stanley.Hopcroft at Dest.gov.au Stanley.Hopcroft at Dest.gov.au
Thu May 24 08:22:34 CEST 2007

Dear Folks,

> Message: 8
> Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 18:47:21 -0700
> From: Daniel Lacey <daniel_p_lacey at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: [Nagios-users] Any experience with check_tacacs_plus.pl

> I don't know this platform, but....
>
> A TACACS+ server's password database should be invisible to a
> TACACS client.
> The server's purpose is to authenticate in a way that makes
> such details
> irrelevant.
>
> I would create a separate user for this with little to no
> authorization... You just need to test the authentication server.
> The user and password will be stored somewhere in plain text
> so that the
> script using Authen::TACACSPlus will know how to connect to
> the server.

There are source RPMS for Authen::TACACSPlus so the overhead of
this Perl plugin is not too bad.

check_tacacs_plus works nicely with the Cisco Secure ACS after

1 the ACS is configured to recognise the Nagios hosts (ie names +
addresses
of all interfaces)

2 a user is created on the ACS that the plugin will use to check that
the
users password is validated.

A less attractive aspect of this plugin is that the TACACS+ secret key
needs to be
known to the Nagios host. Having a separate (from production) key seems
like a good idea
but since the plugin accepts username and pw as options, they are
visible to other
users on the Nagios host (unless you use ePN or hack the plugin).

I am grateful to the plugins authors (P Farmer et al) for this. Nice
job.

Thank you,

Yours sincerely.

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED