Any experience with check_tacacs_plus.pl (NagiosExchange) or Authen::TACACSPlus [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Daniel Lacey daniel_p_lacey at yahoo.com
Wed May 23 03:47:21 CEST 2007

I don't know this platform, but....

A TACACS+ server's password database should be invisible to a TACACS client.
The server's purpose is to authenticate in a way that makes such details
irrelevant.

I would create a separate user for this with little to no
authorization... You just need to test the authentication server.
The user and password will be stored somewhere in plain text so that the
script using Authen::TACACSPlus will know how to connect to the server.

ASCII, CHAP or MS-CHAP is just part of the TACACS protocol. So you need
to know how this is configured on the server.
This is only used between client and server, not between the server and
the password DB.

Hope this helps!