HTTP WARNING: HTTP/1.1 401 Authorization Required

Hugo van der Kooij hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org
Mon May 21 18:49:43 CEST 2007

On Mon, 21 May 2007, Josh Yost wrote:

> Richard Solid wrote:
>> Per your suggestion I'm trying to suppres the message "HTTP WARNING:
>> HTTP/1.1 401 Authorization Required" with the syntax check_http -e 401
>>
>> The following is how I defined the service inside services.cfg.
>>
>> Is this correct ? I did this and I'm having configuration errors when
>> starting the nagios service.
>>
>> define service{
>>        use                             basic-service
>>        name                            http-service
>>        notification_options            c,r
>>        check_command                   check_http -e 401
>>        register                        0
>>        }
>>
>> define service{
>>        use                             http-service
>>        service_description             HTTP
>>        contact_groups                  admins
>>        host_name                      domainname.tld
>>        }
>
> arguments in the check_command are separated by a '!':
>   check_command	check_http!401
>
> You would use the -e flag in your actual command definition:
>   command_line		check_http -e $ARG1$ ....

I would define a new check command with the extra option and name it
check_http_401 for example.

I always prefer to leave the examples as they are. If you redefine them
you will be bitten later.

Then the rest would be rather obvious.

Much like:

define command {
         command_name    check_http_url
         command_line    $USER1$/check_http -H $ARG1$ -u $ARG2$
         }

define command {
         command_name    check_https_url
         command_line    $USER1$/check_http -H $ARG1$ -S -u $ARG2$
         }

define command {
         command_name    check_https_cert
         command_line    $USER1$/check_http -H $ARG1$ -S -C $ARG2$
         }

Hugo.

 		(Thanks JFK, for the insight.)