front end tools for Nagios

Jason Qualkenbush jqualkenbush at iso-ne.com
Thu May 17 16:13:51 CEST 2007

Aaron K. Moore wrote:
> Jim Avery wrote:
>
>> The nuvola theme:
>>

> http://www.nagiosexchange.org/Image_Packs.75.0.html?&tx_netnagext_pi1%5B
> p_view%5D=252
>
>> All of these are to do with visualising the status of hosts and
>> services though, not configuration.  I'm firmly in the "use vi" camp
>> on that one (or use gedit if vi scares you).
>>

> I have to agree.  The nuvola theme is a nice clean design.
>
> I alternate back and forth between emacs and gedit for editing the
> config files.

I have a fairly simple database I keep the hosts in, and then just run a
cron script that pulls the hosts and builds the nagios config files
based on that.  I still need to hand edit the commands.conf file to add
checks, but monitoring a new host is as simple as a checkbox as is
adding additional service checks.  While I don't mind editing the config
files, I don't want to be "The Nagios guy" and have all the other admins
send me tasks to add/remove hosts and services.  Click, click, click,
submit.  Done.

--
-jq