front end tools for Nagios

John A. Sullivan III jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com
Thu May 17 16:04:06 CEST 2007

On Thu, 2007-05-17 at 09:55 -0400, Aaron K. Moore wrote:
> Jim Avery wrote:
> >
> > The nuvola theme:
> >
> http://www.nagiosexchange.org/Image_Packs.75.0.html?&tx_netnagext_pi1%5B
> p_view%5D=252
> >

> > All of these are to do with visualising the status of hosts and
> > services though, not configuration.  I'm firmly in the "use vi" camp
> > on that one (or use gedit if vi scares you).
>
> I have to agree.  The nuvola theme is a nice clean design.
>
> I alternate back and forth between emacs and gedit for editing the
> config files.

While we're on the topic of front ends, I'll risk embarrassing myself
and asking a question that probably reflects my not spending enough time
to learn Nagios and it extended community projects.

The most frustrating thing I find with the web front ends - standard or
nuvola - is the inability to affect multiple services/hosts at once,
e.g., acknowledging several alarms at once.  We are quite diligent about
mapping dependencies and doing event correlation but there are still
times when we have a flood of alarms.  Acknowledging them one at a time
is a killer.  Have I missed something obvious? Thanks - John
--
John A. Sullivan III
Open Source Development Corporation
jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com

If you would like to participate in the development of an open source
enterprise class network security management system, please visit
http://iscs.sourceforge.net