Remote check.... using nsca?

Gary Every gevery at gmail.com
Thu May 10 17:58:57 CEST 2007

Using nsca to monitor is a great way to inform nagios than an event has
occurred, such as backups, logrotate, etc or a process has run that is
kicked off at a random time, such as a DB trigger that happens when a queue
gets to a certain length, etc.

I use it for notiffffying me of the need to burn DVD's of archives when the
archive directory gets to a certain size. This can be anywhere between 4 to
6 days apart, and it relieves me of having to watch. I get an email stating
that the directory is at its target size. by nsca firing off an event.

It also frees up nagios to do its active checks without the extra overhead
of making checks that are going to come back 99.9% of the time with an "ok"
status

PS. Lots of questions in your post, let's get you to embrace and play with
nsca first, then many of the other questions will answer themselves ;-]

G.~

On 5/10/07, Sebastien Roy <Nagios at pointpub.net> wrote:

>  Hey folks,
>
> I tryed to play a bit with nsca and I'm able to send some text message to
> test it and that's works fine, but I have a couple of question about that...
>
> 1- Why I would use nsca to monitor something? How I should use it
> (example)?  Can I use some plugin with nsca?  How can I monitor Windows
> workstation remotly, for disk, memory, cpu usage, etc...?
> 2- If I need to monitor a remote site with a couple of
> workstation/switches/router, what could be the best way to monitor it if I
> can't monitor it directly (remote site with dynamic external IP).
>
> Thanks
>
> --
>
> *Sébastien Roy*
>
> Administrateur de Systèmes Senior / Senior System Administrator
>
> *PointPub Media Communications Inc.* - St-Eustache, Canada
> Bur.: (450) 735-4006 ..:.. Cell.: (514) 867-1079
> *Sebastien.Roy at pMedia.CA* <Sebastien.Roy at pMedia.CA>*
> **www.pointpubmedia.com* <http://www.pointpubmedia.com/> ..::.. *
> www.unevitrinesurlemonde.com* <http://www.unevitrinesurlemonde.com/>

> reporting any issue.

Gary Every