Limit Service Check

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Wed May 9 18:26:34 CEST 2007

Please always respond on-list and not to me directly.

I never suggested changing max_concurrent_check but rather
service_interleave_factor. They're definitely different beasts. As for
other suggestions...

- Create one or more plugins that then run multiple plugins sequentially
and aggregate the results following the plugin guidelines
(http://nagiosplug.sf.net) for reporting back to nagios. These new
plugins would be the service checks you tell nagios to run.
- or, disable parallelization entirely and force nagios to run all
checks sequentially. This is definitely not desirable as it really
limits your scalability and the frequency that you can run checks.

> Another question is:
> Is it possible in Nagios to specify on a per-host basis, whether or
not a
> service check can be parallelized?

No, but... http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/2_0/parallelization.html
says ...

"If all else fails you can effectively prevent service checks from being
parallelized by setting the max_concurrent_checks option to 1. This will
allow only one service to be checked at a time, so it isn't a
spectacular solution. If there is enough demand, I will add an option to
the service definitions which will allow you to specify on a per-service
basis whether or not a service check can be parallelized. If there isn't
enough demand, I won't..."

You might want to chime in on nagios-devel to express support for such a
feature.

--
Marc