Potential BUG report Was: Nagios 3.x + ePN = Garbage data in status [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Stanley.Hopcroft at Dest.gov.au Stanley.Hopcroft at Dest.gov.au
Tue May 8 00:21:56 CEST 2007

Dear Folks,

I think there is a bug in the Nag 3.x processing of the plugin output
returned by an ePN check.

> Message: 7
> Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 11:29:11 -0400
> From: "James Whittington" <James.Whittington at vc3.com>
> Subject: Re: [Nagios-users] Nagios 3.x + ePN = Garbage data in status
> 	..[SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]
>
> I turned on logging in the p1.pl and here's what I got.
> I have cut and pasted a couple of plugins as seen in the epn logfile
> and through the webui of nagios.

> I think epn is getting the correct response from the plugin, and the
> performance information looks good in the user interface, but the
> status field in the user interface has garbage data mixed in with
> valid data.
>
> This is nagios-3.0a2 by the way.
>
> >From epn_leave-msgs.log :
> Mon May  7 10:49:08 2007 run_package:
> "/usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_rfinput -H10.0.5.26 -Cpublic -Onagios"
> returning (0, "-34 dBm|rf-input=34;58;60;22;80").

> >From Nagios Web UI:
> Current Status:   OK
>  (for 6d 4h 51m 46s)
> Status Information: ?FdBm
> Performance Data: rf-input=34;58;60;22;80 Current Attempt:
> 1/1  (HARD state) Last Check Time: 05-07-2007 10:49:08 Check
> Type: ACTIVE Check Latency / Duration: 0.287 / 1.486 seconds

Nagios seems to be discarding the plugin output (that is normally put in
the Status Information field of the UI) but retaining the performance
data.

> >From epn_leave-msgs.log :
> Mon May  7 10:58:03 2007 run_package:
> "/usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_radio_status -H10.0.7.46 -Cpublic"
> returning (0, "Status: No Alarms Uptime: 297 Days
> UAS: 0 SES: 0").
>
> >From Nagios Web UI:
> Current Status:   OK
>  (for 24d 8h 39m 16s)
> Status Information: (No output returned from plugin)

This plugin returns no Perf data so unfortch you get yada in both of the
extended information panel fields.

> Performance Data:
> Current Attempt: 1/1  (HARD state)
> Last Check Time: 05-07-2007 10:58:03
> Check Type: ACTIVE
> Check Latency / Duration: 156.153 / 3.484 seconds
>

> Please let me know if I need to try anything else.

One last matter: do you get beeped ?

Is it only the UI that is wrong or is Nagios also treating the plugin
response as a failure ?

If you are getting beeped (ie HARD error from ePN plugin) the fault is
prob in checks.c otherwise the CGIs may be the culprits.

I agree with your conclusion: this looks to me like a bug in the Nag
handling of the data returned by ePN.

The problem does _not_ appear to be ePNs return of the data since if
that was the case, there would be no Performance Data (which is data
appended to the plugin output following a pipe symbol): some plugin
output is getting back to Nagios so it must be Nagios incorrectly
processing the plugin output.

I think there's nothing more to be said apart from finding the bug,
probably in checks.c (although it could be in other code that also
processes data returned by Perl; event handlers for example).

I am hoping that the Nag developers will see this and comment.

> Thanks,
>
> James Whittington
> James.whittington at vc3.com

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED