Nagios 3.x + ePN = Garbage data in status field?

James Whittington James.Whittington at vc3.com
Tue May 1 20:55:49 CEST 2007

I recently installed Nagios 3.0a2 in a test environment and compiled
with ePN and perlcache support.
I'm trying to test to see if Nagios 3.x and Nagios QL and Perfparse can
all get along without major modifications.

I am also trying to clean up existing perl scripts to work under ePN .
The first script loads clean with strict checking with warnings turned
on.
The script also seems to run fine using  the mini_epn utility...

appdev:/usr/lib/nagios/plugins# perl -w
/usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_rfinput -H 10.0.5.12
-55 dBm|rf-input=55;58;60;22;80

appdev:/usr/src/nagiosepn# ./mini_epn
Enter file name: /usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_rfinput -H 10.0.5.12
embedded perl plugin return code and output was: 0 & '-52
dBm|rf-input=52;58;60;22;80'

But I see garbage data in the Status Information field, although the
proper value is appearing in the Performance Data field

Current Status:   OK
 (for 0d 8h 56m 40s)
Status Information: ?BdBm
Performance Data: rf-input=53;58;60;22;80

Does anyone have suggestions as to where the garbage data might be
coming from or suggestions on the best way to sent the status
information back to nagios?

Thanks,

James Whittington