Nagios SNMP MIB / .1 (Unique ID)

Rev. Dr. Aaron M. Segura aaron.segura at cabelas.com
Tue May 1 16:57:38 CEST 2007

In the standard Nagios SNMP MIB there is an OID for each Host and
Service notifications which is basically a unique identifier for the
event.  However, the MIB also specifically states that the ID is not
generated by Nagios, but rather the "SNMP application".  Does anyone use
this field?  How do you populate it?  I assume it's meant to be used to
tie together subsequent notifications so whomever is receiving it knows
that they are related to a single event.  Is my thinking incorrect?

nHostEventIndex OBJECT-TYPE
  SYNTAX     Integer32 (1..65535)
  MAX-ACCESS not-accessible
  STATUS     current
  DESCRIPTION
    "This object uniquely identifies this host event entry.  It is
generated by the SNMP application and is not related to any Nagios
data."
  ::= { nagiosHostEventEntry 1 }

thanks