Parents config with redundant firewalls

Rob Blake rob.blake at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 18:10:31 CEST 2007

On 3/29/07, Eric Webster <sophomeric at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am looking to set some parent directives for some remote hosts here,
> but the parent would be a firewall that is redundant, as in it is
> actually two systems that fail over as needed.
>
> What would be the best way to set this up in Nagios so that it
> monitors them correctly and also displays them correctly in the map?
>
> I was thinking of making a third host for the firewall that is defined
> using the IP(s) they share so it is always monitoring the active one.
> This leaves the question of the status map though. If it's something I
> just have to deal with, I'm fine with that. I'm just being meticulous
> really.

If the firewall solution shares a logical IP address as part of its
failover  strategy, then I would simply have Nagios monitor that IP address
and wouldn't be too concerned about the physical IP addresses that actually
map to the hosts on which the firewall can run. As long as the logical
address is shown to be the parent of any child services, then the layout in
the status map should be fine.

If you wanted to include the physical IP addresses of the firewalls, then I
guess you could define a host group that contains only both the physical
addresses and then the logical address. Defining only the logical address as
the parent of any other hosts should hopefully sort out the display issues
but I'm not too sure on this.

Rob