What do you not like about Nagios' notification/escalation system?

Ton Voon ton.voon at altinity.com
Wed Mar 28 16:38:41 CEST 2007

On 26 Mar 2007, at 19:14, Taylor Dondich wrote:

> I'm working on a project, and it requires feedback from you, the
> Nagios community.
>
> What do you not like about the way Nagios handles escalations and
> notifications?  What features would you add?  What features would you
> change?  What logic would you change, etc?

I'd like to see a separation of "contact" with a "contactprofile".

The idea is that a contact holds the general info about the contact:
name, email address, phone number, etc (looking like LDAP, isn't it?)

Then the contactprofile defines which contactgroups are notified on.
You can add your required means of notification here. So you would
define like this:

define contactprofile {
	contact_name                  contact_name
	contactgroups                 contactgroup_names
	host_notification_options     [d,u,r,f,n]
	service_notification_options  [w,u,c,r,f,n]
	host_notification_commands    command
	service_notification_commands command
}

One contact can have multiple contactprofiles. A side effect is that
you can have a contactprofile for warnings that go to emails, while
another contactprofile is for criticals to alert to your mobile phone.

There probably needs to be an order to the contactprofiles so that a
notification alert only alerts through at most 1 contactprofile.

We talk a bit about this at http://altinity.blogs.com/dotorg/2006/06/
lessons_in_noti.html. But we haven't the time to add this yet....

Ton

http://www.altinity.com
T: +44 (0)870 787 9243
F: +44 (0)845 280 1725