Passive service result check, using host address instead of host name

Thomas Stocking tstocking at groundworkopensource.com
Tue Mar 27 19:36:21 CEST 2007

Manish,
If you are using a script to submit check results to the command file on
the Nagios host, you could use the status.log file to look up the
hostname before you submit the result.
Another way would be to use a tool like Monarch or NagioSQL to store the
hostnames and IPs in a MySQL DB. Then the script could use the DB
interface to do the lookups. That would be faster, and if you are
willing or able to allow the host that does the posting to access MySQL
across the net, it could run on a remote system. Kind of depends on how
you are running Nagios - with nsca/nscafe or not, and where the passive
results are generated. I don't know if the Nagios event broker can give
you this data directly, but if you use NDOUtils or GroundWork Foundation
then these databases backends also store the  IP and hostname.
Monarch: http://sourceforge.net/projects/monarch/
NagiosQL http://www.nagiosql.org/wiki/Main_Page
NDOUtils: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=26589
GroundWork Foundation: http://gwfoundation.sourceforge.net/