is there a way to set host min_check_attempt?

Thomas Stocking tstocking at groundworkopensource.com
Mon Mar 26 22:20:57 CEST 2007

Hi Dinçer,
Not quite sure I follow your logic, but it looks like you want to
control what happens with Nagios host checks.
Nagios will check the host if and when a service on that host enters a
non-ok state. It then executes the plugin that you select as a
host-alive check. If it comes back with a non-ok status on the first
attempt, it will try again, up to the max number of attempts. If all
attempts fail, it sets to host to state DOWN (or UNREACHABLE - see the
parent directive). It then send a host alert, and notifications, if
configured.
If it comes back OK, it stops checking the host, and sets it to OK. Then
you will get a service alert, notifications, etc.

So, one way to be sure that you always ping 5 times when you are
checking a host is to configure the plugin you use for the host-alive
check to send 5 pings on each attempt:

$USER1$/check_icmp -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -w 3000.0,80% -c 5000.0,100% -n 5
for example.

You could also use a passive check to set the host state. This is a
pretty advanced topic, but will give you great control over host checks.

One thing to consider is that Nagios 2.x and 1.x use a "blocking" host
check. That is, whenever a host check is performed (actively), Nagios
stops doing pretty much everything else. Thus it makes sense to optimize
your active host checks. The longer they take, the larger the affect on
overall latency. This will be fixed in v3, or so I have read. I have not
tried v3 yet :)
    Thomas