Help with Nagios Looking Glass

Andy Shellam andy.shellam-lists at mailnetwork.co.uk
Mon Mar 19 11:38:47 CET 2007

Hi Mike,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble!
The error you're getting means that NLG cannot find (or read) all of the
files it needs to determine that Nagios is running, and for it to read
it's status information from.

The files it looks for are:

- comments.dat
- downtime.dat (not currently used but it still checks it anyway)
- objects.cache
- status.dat

It looks for them by default in /usr/local/nagios/var.
Someone on the list has noticed before that their "status.dat" file was
actually "status.log", in which case symlinking status.dat to status.log
did the trick.

Please check these files exist and are readable by your webserver user.
If you believe they're all intact, please reply back with the following:

- the output of "ls -l /usr/local/nagios/var" (change the path to
Nagios' var directory if different)
- the result of "head /usr/local/nagios/var/status.dat" (run as your
webserver user, change the path to Nagios' var directory if different)
- the value of the ServerNagiosFiles and ServerNagiosFeed settings from
your "nlg/server/s3_client.inc.php" config file

Regards,

Andy.