Getting too many Nagios notifications

Guy Rosen guyrosen at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 13 14:28:11 CET 2007

Lane, Jim <Jim.Lane <at> CIBC.com> writes:

> It strikes me that this is more of a philosophical issue than a
> technical one. It's easy to get carried away with all the myriad of
> things that Nagios can check on and end up with a monster, as you seem
> to have. The question you need to ask yourself is "what event is likely
> to happen and how would Nagios be able to recognize it and tell me about
> it"? It sounds like you have an all-or-nothing situation, your server is
> either up or it slowly goes down one bit at a time. If that's so perhaps
> you really only need to monitor the server itself. To me the point of
> Nagios is to be like a fire alarm. Once the alarm sounds I'll
> investigate the details myself, I don't need Nagios to tell me in great
> detail of everything that's not working on a server.

Hi Jim,

I see what you're getting at, but do not think it is relevant to the situation
at hand. Sometimes, individual services in my host do fall, and I'd sure be glad
to know about them. On other occasions, it's the whole server (or rather the
network and crappy provider) that malfunctions - and it is then that I receive
the army of notifications as each and every service is discovered as "failing".

 - Guy.