Getting too many Nagios notifications

Lane, Jim Jim.Lane at CIBC.com
Tue Mar 13 14:11:23 CET 2007

It strikes me that this is more of a philosophical issue than a
technical one. It's easy to get carried away with all the myriad of
things that Nagios can check on and end up with a monster, as you seem
to have. The question you need to ask yourself is "what event is likely
to happen and how would Nagios be able to recognize it and tell me about
it"? It sounds like you have an all-or-nothing situation, your server is
either up or it slowly goes down one bit at a time. If that's so perhaps
you really only need to monitor the server itself. To me the point of
Nagios is to be like a fire alarm. Once the alarm sounds I'll
investigate the details myself, I don't need Nagios to tell me in great
detail of everything that's not working on a server.

FWIW

Jim Lane

-----Original Message-----
From: nagios-users-bounces at lists.sourceforge.net
[mailto:nagios-users-bounces at lists.sourceforge.net] On Behalf Of Guy
Rosen
Sent: March 13, 2007 8:50 AM
To: nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Nagios-users] Getting too many Nagios notifications

Hi,

I have a simple setup running Nagios 2.3.1 (actually NagiosVMA,
configured using
Groundwork Monarch). I have a host with many services on it (both remote
checks
performed using check_by_ssh and checks for various public services),
and I get
a barrage of notifications whenever something goes wrong.

So, I defined dependencies. The services in a host are dependent on the
host
(and/or on the PING service, and some other general services). But,
there are
some timing issues that mean I still get hammered with a lot of alerts.
What
happens during outages it this:
1. The host itself goes down, but not before a few services manage to go
down
individually (so I get a few service down notifications)
2. More services that go down when the host is down do not generate any
notifications - good.
3. When the outage is over, Nagios detects the host is up.
4. Now the services are detected as going up, and since the host is up
there is
no dependency to filter the notifications, so I get a whole barrage of
"service
OK" notifications.

These are killing my cellphone :-). Can anyone direct me to the best way
better configure these things?

Thanks!

-
your