please help with service dependencies

James DeZego James.DeZego at americanhm.com
Tue Mar 13 14:01:28 CET 2007

Using NRPE_NT running on a Windows server as a WMI Proxy to process
checks on Windows servers via WMI scripts. The initial problem was that
when the proxy was down, or rebooted, we got thousands of alerts from
the services that used the proxy to do checks. We thought that to fix
this we would make all the WMI checks dependent upon the NRPE service
running on the proxy. This way when the parent NRPE service was down or
unreachable, the WMI checks would not be processed. This is NOT working
to due the time it takes for the NRPE service to go from soft-down to
hard-down (during this time tons of alerts are sent out). We enabled
soft state dependency and this fixed the problem, but it will KILL our
WMI proxy as its now doing MANY more checks (the NRPE parent service is
constantly checked to get the current state as opposed to using the last
know state, which is what happens when soft state dependencies are
turned off)

So what is the answer to my problem? I need to make sure that when the
NRPE service running on the proxy is down or unreachable, ALL wmi checks
immediately stop and not even a single alert is sent out.

Thank you