query about passive checks and tactical overview

Patrick Morris patrick.morris at hp.com
Fri Mar 9 03:01:57 CET 2007

Hi Manish!

On Thu, 08 Mar 2007, Manish Sapariya wrote:

> I was expecting the tactical overview page to say that there are no
> active checks for service/host. However the tactical overview page
> says that for the active checks "X services disabled" and "Y hosts
> disabled" and shows them in red color.

This is normal.  I'm not sure if there's a way to get them to not show
red down there without some CGI hacking.

> One more thing regarding the passive host/service configuration that I
> am not able to understand is the "check_command" configuration.

If you run strictly passive checks, it doesn't matter what you put in as
the check command, since it will never get run.  If you turn on
freshness checking, though, this command will be run if the box
receiving check results doesn't receive one within the expected
timeframe.

If your checks are supposed to come in at regular intervals, it can be
helpful to put in a check that always fails in the config, so you get
alerted if your passive checks stop coming in.