query about passive checks and tactical overview

Manish Sapariya manishs at gs-lab.com
Fri Mar 9 02:41:14 CET 2007

Hi all,
I have configured nagios to do passive checks for host and services as none
of my host are services are accessible directly.

I was expecting the tactical overview page to say that there are no
active checks
for service/host. However the tactical overview page says that for the
active
checks "X services disabled" and "Y hosts disabled" and shows them in
red color.

I am not sure if this is correct or incorrect. However I certainly does
not want to see
anything in "red" on tactical overview page unless it really is down.

One more thing regarding the passive host/service configuration that I
am not able
to understand is the "check_command" configuration.

When I put a host/service in passive_check_mode, I understand that
nagios will
update the status for such a device based on external command results
fed to nagiso.cmd.

My question is why do I need to specify the check_command in this case?
I have
supplied the check_dummy which essentially returns 0 always. Is my
nagios really
showing the status as reported by the passive external command status or
is showing
from the result of check_dummy command.

I am sure I am missing something, but not sure what?
Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks and Regards,
Manish