Getting Nagios and AIX SNMP working together happily

Patrick - South Valley Internet patrickm at garlic.com
Fri Mar 9 02:50:36 CET 2007

Hi all,

I'm trying to monitor all the important stuff from a few of our AIX
boxes, such as CPU load, memory load, and storage.  I want to be able to
have Nagios notify us when we reach a certain level of storage for all
the partitions.  I downloaded the AIX Harddisk Checks located at
http://www.nagiosexchange.org/AIX.139.0.html?&tx_netnagext_pi1[p_view]=712
and I have it working, but it only tells me OK that there is a hard
drive in the system.  I want to be able to have Nagios notify us when we
reach a certain level of storage for all the partitions.

Here's my /etc/snmpdv3.conf from the AIX box:

VACM_GROUP group1 SNMPv1  public  -

VACM_VIEW defaultView        internet                   - included -

# exclude snmpv3 related MIBs from the default view
VACM_VIEW defaultView        snmpModules                - excluded -
VACM_VIEW defaultView        1.3.6.1.6.3.1.1.4          - included -
VACM_VIEW defaultView        1.3.6.1.6.3.1.1.5          - included -

# exclude aixmibd managed MIBs from the default view
VACM_VIEW defaultView        1.3.6.1.4.1.2.6.191        - included -

VACM_ACCESS  group1 - - noAuthNoPriv SNMPv1  defaultView - defaultView -

NOTIFY notify1 traptag trap -

TARGET_ADDRESS Target1 UDP 127.0.0.1       traptag trapparms1 - - -

TARGET_PARAMETERS trapparms1 SNMPv1  SNMPv1  public  noAuthNoPriv -

COMMUNITY public    public     noAuthNoPriv 0.0.0.0     0.0.0.0         -

DEFAULT_SECURITY no-access - -

logging         file=/usr/tmp/snmpdv3.log       enabled
logging         size=0                          level=0

smux            1.3.6.1.4.1.2.3.1.2.1.2         gated_password  # gated

Could anyone point me in the right direction on how to get Nagios to
check for the amount of storage on the drive?  Do I need a different plugin?

I also want to put a password on this instead of making it public, do I
just change all words that say public to the passphrase I want?

Calling all AIX and Nagios experts - your help is much apprecaited!   :)

Patrick