weighted health monitors

Israel Brewster israel at frontierflying.com
Thu Mar 8 18:36:05 CET 2007

On Mar 8, 2007, at 3:58 AM, Michael Weiner wrote:

> This may sound like somewhat of a silly question, but one of our
> server
> admins asked me if it were possible to change the 'health' monitors
> on the
> Tactical Overview page. In other words, he would like to know if its
> possible to 'weight' a host and/or service - he thinks some hosts or
> services should count more than others (i.e. a server providing DNS
> or AD
> should weight more than a server providing file serving activities)
> and
> would like the health meters on that page to account for this. Is this
> possible?
>
> Thanks for any ideas
> Michael Weiner

I don't know of any good ways to do it (maybe someone else does), but
here is a VERY stupid/silly and HIGHLY in-efficient method (read: you
probably don't want to do this :) ) that might produce the results
you want (with the health meters, at any rate): put the more
important services/hosts into your config multiple times. For
example, if you were to weight the importance of your servers on a
scale from one to three, a highly important one might be in there
three times, like so:

hostname server_A_1

hostname server_A_2

hostname server_A_3

if you want to get fancy, then only server_A_1 does any actual
checking, then runs an eventhandler or something to submit a passive
check result for the other two. Course, this will clutter up the
display of the rest of nagios immensely, as well as making the count
of critical/warning/ok hosts/services be incorrect, so I would
recommend NOT doing it, but if all you are concerned about are the
health meters, it might have the desired effect... :)