Notification via yahoo messenger/jabber

Hugo van der Kooij hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org
Sat Mar 3 12:55:33 CET 2007

On Sat, 3 Mar 2007, Hugo van der Kooij wrote:

> On Sat, 3 Mar 2007, Mihai Tanasescu wrote:
>
>> I've read the nagios website and forums to search for a solution to send
>> a yahoo messenger text to me in case a host fails with no luck so far.
>>
>> All that I've seen are two Perl modules that are outdated and no longer
>> work so I thought I could use the jabber protocol with a yahoo messenger
>> configured gateway to send me a message on YMSG (but no luck finding
>> something that could do that, text mode based).
>
> I just noticed Jabber WindowGram Client (JWGC)
> http://jwgc.blathersource.org/
>
> The jwrite commandline tools seems to be usefull
> http://jwgc.blathersource.org/docs/jwrite.html
>
> I have not tried it (yet) myself. (It just went rather high on my
> overloaded to-do list.)

I tried it and you can scratch it.

But it seems sendxmpp (http://sendxmpp.platon.sk/) seems to fit the bill
quite well.

Requirements on Centos 4.4 are met with packages available through the
common repositories. Just did `yum install perl-Net-XMPP' and the required
packages were installed.

Now the challenge is to find a jabber server that will work with this perl
module. (XS4ALL is listed as non-working.)

Hugo.

--
 	hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org	http://hvdkooij.xs4all.nl/

 		(Thanks JFK, for the insight.)