Notification via yahoo messenger/jabber

Mihai Tanasescu mihai at duras.ro
Sat Mar 3 12:08:05 CET 2007

Hugo van der Kooij wrote:

> On Sat, 3 Mar 2007, Mihai Tanasescu wrote:
>
>> I've read the nagios website and forums to search for a solution to send
>> a yahoo messenger text to me in case a host fails with no luck so far.
>>
>> All that I've seen are two Perl modules that are outdated and no longer
>> work so I thought I could use the jabber protocol with a yahoo messenger
>> configured gateway to send me a message on YMSG (but no luck finding
>> something that could do that, text mode based).
>

> I just noticed Jabber WindowGram Client (JWGC)
> http://jwgc.blathersource.org/
>
> The jwrite commandline tools seems to be usefull
> http://jwgc.blathersource.org/docs/jwrite.html
>
> I have not tried it (yet) myself. (It just went rather high on my
> overloaded to-do list.)
>
> Hugo.

Hmm the client seems alright but it doesn't allow any possibility to
interact with the yahoo gateway component of the jabber server and
unfortunately everyone here that needs to be notified uses YMSG.

I was hoping to avoid having to analyze the Gaim sourcecode and try to
build something from scratch as I'm not such a good programmer.

-
Mihai