Fw: Windows Process Checking

Frost, Mark {PBG} mark.frost1 at pepsi.com
Thu Mar 1 14:11:53 CET 2007

Robert,

I think you may misunderstand what this program is used for.  It's a program that you run on a Windows box to collect information from the Windows Performance Data Helper (PDH) library that Microsoft provides.  It would have no function on a *nix box.

In our case, we have a Linux Nagios installation which uses NRPE to connect remotely to Windows machines and runs the wincheck_counter.exe program as a plugin which returns whatever information about that windows box we want (like cpu load at that moment, for example).

The PDH.DLL file is really only needed if your particular windows box doesn't have it already.  Win2K, WinXP and Win2K3 already have it although I've had some weird issues with wincheck_counter.exe on Win2K, but maybe that's just me.

Hope that helps.

Mark