Getting check_smtp to test send an entire message w/ body

Kelly Jones kelly.terry.jones at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 05:00:16 CEST 2007

The check_smtp plugin works great to connect to an SMTP server, and
even to say "HELO", "MAIL FROM", etc, but I'd like to send an entire
message and get back "Message accepted for delivery" or something
similar.

However, whenever I try something like:

/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_smtp -H maila.microsoft.com -C "HELO
nagios" -C "MAIL FROM: <test at testing.com>" -C "RCPT TO:
<bgates at microsoft.com>" -C "DATA" -C "Subject: Ignore this test, Bill"
-v

(all on one line, of course), I get a segmentation fault.

Short of writing my own plugin, what's the best way to test an SMTP
server all the way through message delivery/acceptance?

Related question: the plugins that come w/ nagios are pretty
sparse. Is there a central "free plugin repository" somewhere?