NSClient++ or NRPE

Frost, Mark {PBG} mark.frost1 at pepsi.com
Fri Jun 8 15:40:02 CEST 2007

This discussion intrigues me...

We've been using NRPE_NT with our Windows boxes (probably around 200 that we're monitoring) because I think I had the impression that this was the more commonly used of the two (NRPE/nsclient++). We primarily use it to call the wincheck_counter.exe file to probe Windows' PDH counters.  However, from seeing the responses so far I'd say it appears that the majority of folks are using nsclient++ instead.

I had considered nsclient++ at one time because it doesn't appear that nrpe_nt is actively developed anymore, yet nsclient++ has a lot of activity.  When I tried it out, I did have some difficulty getting it working properly and eventually gave up on it.  Then again, I maybe just didn't give it enough time and didn't understand how it worked well enough.  It seemed to me that you mostly were able to probe things that it gave you the opportunity to probe.  With NRPE_NT and wincheck_counter.exe (which doesn't seem to me to be run by all that many people either...) we could probe anything that was returnable by the PDH lib.

I also had the impression that nsclient++ carried a bigger footprint than NRPE_NT did.

One problem we've seen with NRPE_NT and wincheck_counter.exe is that it seems rather unreliable on Win2k machines -- at least for the things we commonly check like cpu, memory and disk space.  A number of times it will just time out.

Another list member indicated that they'd had crashes with Win2k3 -- we've never seen that.

Given that nsclient++ seems much more widely used and is still actively developed, I'm considering giving it another shot.

This issue of figuring out what's widely used has come up for me before with Nagios.  When I was trying to figure out whether to use nagiosgraph or nagiosgrapher, for example.  Just because something's in the Nagios Exchange, doesn't mean it's any good, actively supported, or perhaps even worth using.  I wish I could send out a poll :-)

Mark