Nagios box latancy + tuning

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Tue Jun 5 08:23:42 CEST 2007

On 04/06/07, Adam Kennedy <akennedy at cyberlinkint.com> wrote:
> I'm having one heck of a time trying to get my service checks to be
> something reasonable. They are 60 seconds or less for a few minutes
> after starting nagios, then the service latency increases to 80 seconds
> or higher (usually if left go, it ranges in 120 to 160seconds or higher).
>
> Host check latency is 0 seconds.
> Host check is check_fping
>
> The various service checks are ping (via check_fping), roughly 5 snmp
> services per host, and telnet for a handful of them.
>

> There are 440 hosts, and roughly 1600 services being checked.
> I've followed the tuning guide on the nagios website and have done all
> applicable items, I think. The max_concurrent_checks is 900.
>

> Server hardware specs:
> - Intel Core 2 Duo 2.13Ghz
> - 3Ware 9550SX RAID card
> - Three Seagate 250Gb SATA drives running in RAID-5
> - Broadcom Gigabit NIC, onboard
> - 3Gb of DDR2 5300 RAM
> - Linux Kernel 2.6.21.3
> - Slackware 11.0
>

> Any ideas? I'm going insane over here trying to figure this out. The
> same server also runs MySQL and Cacti. Cacti graphs roughly the same
> amount of services and the same number of hosts. For the tuning of
> nagios, I have cacti completely turned off.

If you're running NDOUtils, try tuning the size of some of the tables
down or set up a suitable index on the biggest tables.  There's a
problem with full table scans on the deletion of old records which was
discussed on this list a few weeks ago which might be contributing to
the problem.  (did we every come to a conclusion about what index to
use, I can't remember?)

If all of your checks run once a minute, consider whether it's a
appropriate for all of them to run that frequently and maybe configure
some to run every 5 minutes.  I run disk space checks every 30 minutes
or so usually to free up time for other checks to run.  I also
categorise servers into Gold, Silver and Bronze and run the most
frequent checks only on the Gold and Silver servers.

hth,  Jim