Nagios box latancy + tuning

Adam Kennedy akennedy at cyberlinkint.com
Mon Jun 4 23:06:41 CEST 2007

I'm having one heck of a time trying to get my service checks to be
something reasonable. They are 60 seconds or less for a few minutes
after starting nagios, then the service latency increases to 80 seconds
or higher (usually if left go, it ranges in 120 to 160seconds or higher).

Host check latency is 0 seconds.
Host check is check_fping

The various service checks are ping (via check_fping), roughly 5 snmp
services per host, and telnet for a handful of them.

There are 440 hosts, and roughly 1600 services being checked.
I've followed the tuning guide on the nagios website and have done all
applicable items, I think. The max_concurrent_checks is 900.

Server hardware specs:
- Intel Core 2 Duo 2.13Ghz
- 3Ware 9550SX RAID card
- Three Seagate 250Gb SATA drives running in RAID-5
- Broadcom Gigabit NIC, onboard
- 3Gb of DDR2 5300 RAM
- Linux Kernel 2.6.21.3
- Slackware 11.0

Any ideas? I'm going insane over here trying to figure this out. The
same server also runs MySQL and Cacti. Cacti graphs roughly the same
amount of services and the same number of hosts. For the tuning of
nagios, I have cacti completely turned off.

--

Adam Kennedy
Network Administrator