check_ping vs check_icmp?

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Tue Jul 31 14:41:01 CEST 2007

Actually, this is terminology detailing how a specific set of
permissions are applied to a file/program. Basically, setuid and setgid
mean that a flag is applied to the file/program with chmod such that it
will retain it's ownership for that bit when being used. For the
purposes here, setuid root means that the file should be owned by the
user root (chown root /path/to/check_icmp) and setuid (chmod u+s
/path/to/check_icmp). This will cause check_icmp to always run as the
root user no matter who is running it. This allows it to open the
necessary socket connections without requiring that the actual root user
be running it. setuid is denoted by the 's' below --

$ ls -l /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_icmp
-r-sr-xr-x    1 root     nagios      15424 Jun  9 21:42
/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_icmp

$ ls -l /bin/ping
-rwsr-xr-x    1 root     root        27860 Sep 29  2005 /bin/ping

--
Marc