check_ping vs check_icmp?

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Mon Jul 30 20:22:49 CEST 2007

check_ping is a wrapper for /bin/ping and so depends on that program to
actually perform the check, parsing it's output to determine success or
not. check_icmp performs the check itself. check_icmp is much more
efficient than check_ping, typically completing in fractions of a second
for 10 pings. Here's a graphic example, 50 pings, 49 seconds for
check_ping v.s. 1.2 seconds for check_icmp --

$ time ./check_ping -n 50 -H www.ena.com -w500,50% -c 1000,100%
PING OK - Packet loss = 0%, RTA = 1.78 ms

real    0m49.197s
user    0m0.000s
sys     0m0.020s

time ./check_icmp -n 50 -H www.ena.com -w500,50% -c 1000,100%